Tannenbaum Scro, P.L.
Call For a consultation
941-444-9092 | 866-615-4543
Spanish Language Services Available

What type of contractor damage your homeowners insurance covers

If you have a contractor come to your home to complete work and he sets fire to something, then it's likely that your homeowners policy will cover the damage. In fact, there's a strong likelihood that your policy will cover a number of different accidental occurrences similar to this. There are, however, just as many situations that your insurance policy won't cover.

In the scenario described above, your homeowners policy will most likely cover repairs that need to be made because a contractor accidentally set fire in an area of your home. Your insurance company will most likely go after that contractor's own insurance company to recover their expenses.

This is one of the reasons why organizations like the Insurance Information Institute recommend that homeowners are careful to verify that their contractors carry their own insurance. If they don't or if it's not adequate to cover the damage that is caused, then they could decide to go after the contractor personally or even you instead.

While your homeowners policy may cover an accident such as a fire, it's highly unlikely to get an incident in which a contractor performed their work poorly covered. Poor workmanship is rarely, if ever, covered because most homeowners policies contain language that specifies that instances of inadequate or faulty craftsmanship are excluded from reimbursement.

In an incidence of poor workmanship, generally your only option is to sue the contractor's insurance company or the contractor personally either for compensation or to make necessary repairs. The end result of a lawsuit is not guaranteed though. Therefore, insurance industry experts recommend taking great caution to take time and check a contractor's license, references and insurance before allowing them to complete work.

Finally, there are some instances in which the homeowners policy may cover certain aspects of the damage caused but not other parts. For example, if you have a plumber come into your home and he doesn't properly reseal the pipes, then it's possible for your home to flood. While the damage caused by that may be covered under your homeowner's policy, the resealing of the pipes may be excluded from coverage.

If a contractor you hired performed poor quality work or caused significant damage to your home, then a Sarasota construction law attorney can advise you of remedies you can pursue in your case.

Source: Allstate, "A Contractor Damaged My Home. Will Insurance Cover It?," accessed Sep. 29, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tannenbaum Scro, P.L.
1990 Main Street
Suite 725
Sarasota, FL 34236

Toll Free: 866-615-4543
Phone: 941-444-9092
Sarasota Law Office Map

Tannenbaum Scro, P.L.
214 S. Lucerne Circle
Orlando, FL 32801

Phone: 407-956-2184
Orlando Law Office Map

Tannenbaum Scro, P.L.
970 Lake Carillon Drive
Suite 300
St. Petersburg, FL 33716

Phone: 727-287-1018
St. Pete's Law Office Map