Tannenbaum Scro, P.L.
Call For a consultation
941-444-9092 | 866-615-4543
Spanish Language Services Available

What can I do if my ex doesn't want a divorce?

Some married couples seem to fight constantly. They argue over everything from what to make for dinner to how to raise their children. In many cases, couples who fight nonstop ultimately get divorced.

However, even the process of ending a marriage can turn into an all-out battle. Of course, two people may fight about property division and child custody, but what if your spouse is pushing back on the whole idea of divorce and refuses to sign divorce papers? If your ex is contesting a divorce in Florida, there are some things you can do to keep the process moving.

First, you can discuss with your ex why he or she is refusing to divorce. Is it for religious reasons? Does he or she not want you to ever get remarried? Is he or she holding out hope for reconciliation? In some cases, you can take steps to get your ex to cooperate or at least stop delaying the process. This might include talking to a counselor, trying a legal separation or simply explaining why you want the divorce.

However, if you have tried these things or if you are not willing to go through all that, you can still push forward by seeking a contested divorce. This will allow you to file the proper paperwork without needing your ex's signature. The resolutions will then be in the hands of the courts.

If your ex still refuses to cooperate and sign divorce papers, you can take legal action seeking a divorce by default. As discussed in this article, a divorce by default is granted when the other party fails or refuses to respond to divorce papers. However, this can only be an option after a certain amount of time has passed.

If you are struggling to get a divorce because your spouse will not agree to it, legal intervention can be unavoidable. Without action, your life can be put on hold, which can be enormously upsetting, particularly if you get to the point where you are involved in a new relationship and considering remarrying. Consulting an attorney about the contested divorce process can help you pursue the divorce you want without giving up the things you need.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tannenbaum Scro, P.L.
1990 Main Street
Suite 725
Sarasota, FL 34236

Toll Free: 866-615-4543
Phone: 941-444-9092
Sarasota Law Office Map

Tannenbaum Scro, P.L.
214 S. Lucerne Circle
Orlando, FL 32801

Phone: 407-956-2184
Orlando Law Office Map

Tannenbaum Scro, P.L.
970 Lake Carillon Drive
Suite 300
St. Petersburg, FL 33716

Phone: 727-287-1018
St. Pete's Law Office Map

Tannenbaum Scro, P.L.
1415 Dean Street
The Dean Suites
Fort Myers, FL 33901

Phone: 239-215-4131
Fort Myers Law Office Map